The State Council has procured a General Liability Insurance Policy through the Montgomery Insurance Co, a member of the Liberty Mutual Group. This insurance is a standard liability insurance policy for North Carolina State Insurance Laws.

State Contact Person: State Advocate for all insurance information and requests.

General Guidelines:

  • Policy: The insurance policy is a 2nd party general liability policy. It is meant to protect the Council and facilities utilized for Council activities.
    1. Policy does not cover Knights individually, your own personal insurance policy is your
      coverage at events, etc. Exception: LAMB has own insurance policy, contact LAMB
      Treasurer for further information.
    2. Policy covers guests at activities sponsored by a Knights of Columbus Council.
    3. Policy is not collision insurance but liability insurance.
    4. Policy Period: November 1 of each year to November 1 of the following year.

Summary of Limits and Charges:

  • Each Occurrence Limit – $1,000,000
  • Damage to Premises Rented to You Limit (Any One Premises) – $300,000
  • Medical Expense Limit (Any One Person) – $15,000
  • Personal and Advertising Injury Limit – $1,000,000
  • General Aggregate Limit (Other than products – Completed Operations) – $2,000,000
  • Products – Completed Operations Aggregate Limit – $2,000,000

How Financed:

  • Each Council is assessed $1.00 per member per year for this insurance on their September State Insurance Bill
  • Exception: Councils owning their own building through a separate corporation. They are required to have their own insurance policy and to forward a copy to the State Secretary.
    These Councils may also want to get State Insurance coverage for events not held on their own property (example: event held at Church or local park).

General Example of 2nd Party Liability Policy:

  • Council hosts a fish fry and a Knight accidentally receives a hot oil burn.  Not covered by this policy.
  • Council hosts a fish fry and a guest accidentally receives a hot oil burn.  Covered.
  • Host a Bingo – guest falls and gets injured.  Covered.

Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQ)

Q: What is a Certificate of Insurance?
A: A certificate issued by the insurance company that verifies a valid policy is in effect for the Knights of Columbus

Q: When do I need a Certificate of Insurance?
A: When the owner of the property you are planning on conducting an event requests one.  This could be Church property, public property, i.e. park, etc.

Q: What if the Parish requests a Certificate of Insurance to cover all Knights of Columbus activities on Church property for the year?
A: A Certificate of Insurance will be issued upon request.

Q: How do I get a Certificate of Insurance?
A: Contact the State Advocate (e-mail or telephone).

Q: What about alcohol sales at an event?
A: A Certificate of Insurance is not a permit to sell alcoholic beverages. A one time event permit should be secured from the North Carolina ABC commission.